Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What if...?

My beautiful, wonderful 7-year-old daughter asks about 5 million what if questions a day? Here are some samples (from just this evening): What if a baby held its arms like this and punched someone and broke their nose? (We are watching Rocky IV, by the way.) What if we had named Harrison Rocky? My response to that one was simple - then Mommy and Daddy would not have been the ones naming him. What if his head was as hard as a rock - then would we have named him Rocky?

Other questions have included things about turtles: What if one of the turtles let another turtle climb up its back so the second one could escape and what if we found it later driving down the road? What if we built a turtle playset and sold the idea to Wal-Mart so they could sell it? What if we built a treehouse in our backyard that had a library, toy store, a bedroom, and a stairs to lead to the second level?

I have decided there is a fine line between encouraging her creativity and maintaining my sanity. I think most days we reside on the side of the line for creativity. And, honestly, I don't want to stifle that. I want her to think outside the box - to think for herself and have new, unique ideas. But...what if all these what if questions drive me completely crazy?

No comments: