Friday, December 19, 2014

And This Is How It All Began

  December 19, 2003, was a lot like today. It was a Friday and the last day of the semester. And I had almost an entire month until the baby was due. I had not felt well all week but I was big momma pregnant and just thought I was worn out (mainly because I was). Before I ever even got out of bed that morning I was feeling something out of the ordinary. It was a little crampy but nothing unbearable. I got up and got ready for school but that pain just continued.  As I kissed Nathan goodbye, I said, "You need to accessible today." He responded, "Accessible to who?" I told him I was having some pains that I had never had before and would be calling the doctor.  What I failed to tell him was that I had experienced something that may or may not have been my water breaking.  One minor detail I left out.
   I went to school and talked with my friend Dustin. I never mentioned my pains and tried to not show that something weird was happening every few minutes. When I got it touch with the doctor's office and told them what was happening, they said I would need to come in and get checked. I told them I would have to get someone to cover my class first but I would be there when I could.  In a matter of minutes my room was full of teachers, coaches, and an administrator.  Turns out that when a very pregnant woman says she is having pains and needs to go to the doctor, lots of people show up to cover that class. I walked out of the door saying "I'll be back" because I was in complete denial that this was really labor.  I was still a month away and no one in my family has babies early.
   I drove myself to the doctor's office (something my husband has never let me forget).  The doctor took all of about 10 seconds to tell me that my water had broken and the baby was coming.  He said the baby should be fine as far along as I was.  I called Nathan and told him he needed to come to the hospital. And then I stopped in the lobby and called my mom from a pay phone. I had not shed a tear until I talked to her, but there is something about hearing your mom's voice that frees you to express your emotions.  I asked her about her wanting a Christmas grand baby. And then told her she was going to get one.
   I had to go down to the outpatient area to get checked in.  The poor girl who checked me in was so nervous she kept messing up on her typing. She said, "I am so afraid you are going to sit there and have a baby." I assured her we were a long way from that. By the time we finished up that my pains had gotten worse. I couldn't walk while having one.  The reality of the situation was hitting me.
   Everyone rushed to the hospital.  My little sister apparently yelled out that she needed a sub when mom called and told her I was in labor. And then everyone waited. It took until right after 6:30 that evening before our little one arrived. We had not decided on a name for her but had it narrowed down to a couple.  I was so tired that I said to Nathan, "I can't even think about it. You choose." He looked at her and said, "She looks more like a Jillian." And so our little Jillian Isabelle was introduced to the world 11 years ago today.
    That baby has had my heart from the first second. She is smart and kind and helpful. I adore her - even if 11 years ago she was a pain (literally).  She's the first person I talk to every morning. And she makes life better.  Every.single.day.

No comments: