Saturday, July 27, 2013

Life Lessons Brought to You by Swim Team

My summer has been spent watching swim practice, stroke lessons, and cheering at swim meets.   It occurred to me yesterday that I should probably take something from this experience.    So here are a few life lessons I have picked up this summer:
1)  Practicing incorrectly or not correcting what you know you are doing wrong leads to a habit that is almost impossible to break.   In life, I sometimes operate under the principle that I can wait to fix the problem until I really need to fix it.   All evidence shows that just isn't true.
2)  A lack of focus at the beginning sets the tone for the whole race.   If you are too busy looking at the guy is going to blow the horn, you aren't focused on the water.   Those few seconds can be the difference between winning and being third.  As a new school year approaches, I am contemplating my focus.   If it isn't right in August, what are the odds I can have it right in October?
3)  How you start often (but not always) determines how you finish.   There are definite exceptions to this one, but if you don't start well, finishing well becomes more of a challenge.
4)  Looking at the others who are swimming around you only distracts you from your target.   It slows you down and affects the outcome.  We - as humans - tend to want to compare ourselves to others.    While a little of that might get you going, it can become an obstacle to finishing, to doing your very best.   Sometimes the best thing you can do is get in there and do your best without comparing yourself to others.
5)  Having a teachable spirit has got to be one of life's best qualities.   When someone offers up suggestions (whether it be on how to dive in, perfect your stroke, or kick harder), you can improve by heeding their advice.   So many times, we are offended when others try to honestly, constructively help us.   That teachable spirit - in swimming, schooling, or spiritual matters - is a key to success.   This is actually something I pray for my children - that they will have teachable spirits.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

That is fantastic Erin! I loved reading your thoughts on this.