As I grow older my list of pet peeves seems to grow - sometimes rapidly. I realize that part of that is my attitude (you know the one, the older you get, the grumpier you get). But I had a realization the other day, folks. My lengthy list of pet peeves, like people standing in the middle of the aisle at Wal-Mart or ordering 14 meals in a drive-thru, all seems to boil down to one. What about someone not changing the toilet paper when the roll is empty is annoying? What bothers me about people interrupting each other? My one big pet peeve is people not being considerate of others. I think that most of what I previously would have said was a pet peeve reverts right back to this one big thing. I know I do things inconsiderate on a daily basis, but I try to think of others. I try to remember to pay attention to the world around me - not just the world revolving around me.
So as we start back to school, I am going to be a little more purposeful in my consideration. I will try to emulate that both to my children and to my students. I will encourage them to pay attention to the people around them. Does this person need you to hold the door? Can we let that person with one item go ahead of us at Wal-Mart? Can we stop to hear what others are saying before we start responding? I sure hope so, because this one pet peeve is enough to drive a person crazy!
1 comment:
I am with you 100%. I have found that a lack of consideration is my #1 pet peeve too. Unfortunately that makes me grumpy about a lot things because that one pet peeve covers a lot of area.
Post a Comment