Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Naming of Fish

Our fish recently died, and Nathan has been telling Jillian that he would take her to get replacements. Today he picked her up from school, and they came home with two fish. One is a Black Moor and other is a Orange Fantail. Jillian quickly named the black one Bugsy (if you have seen Bedtime Stories this makes sense). The other one posed a little more of a challenge. Here is our conversation:

Jillian: What do you think I should name the other fish?
Me: Fish 2
Jillian: No, that is silly. What do you think?
Me: Knox (I was going for a tie to Knoxville, TN, home of the University of TN which is famously orange).
Jillian: No.
Me: Spoon? Fork? Jacket? Thing 2?
Jillian: Those aren't fish names.
Me: La De Da?
Jillian: That's it. The orange fish is La De Da.

Later after her bath, she couldn't even remember what the orange fish's name was...
Me: I gave you lots of other choices.
Jillian: They were all even lamer than La De Da.

No comments: