Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Navigating a Life Interrupted

I have just finished up my first week of homework for my Jonah Bible study. There are a few things that really stand out to me already.
#1 - Interruptions only become positive when we consider the person or
the circumstance interrupting to be more significant than that which
occupies our attention. Is it an interruption or a divine intervention?
#2 - What God asks us to do might not be convenient or easy but it should
be our joy to to respond to the call.
#3 - It is not my legacy or lack thereof that makes me significant. It is God's
call and my willingness to obey it.
#4 - In my life right now, am I trying to be the one in the spotlight or am I
allowing God to get the spotlight in my life?
#5 - God's plans for us are so overwhelmingly beyond anything that we could
ever imagine that our feelings or ability to reason His directives cannot
be the determining factor for choosing obedience. Making sense of what
God has asked or feeling compelled to cooperate cannot be the
prerequisite for choosing obedience. His Word must be enough.
#6 - Doing God's will is not always comfortable or convenient, but it is worth
it.

I have to say - right now I can't really see an "interruption" in my life. Obviously, I had a plan for my family (to be complete by now) but that interruption has long since become reality. Having a baby right now, might now not have been on my calendar, but it is definitely not viewed as an interruption. That's all to say - I can point to times in life where my life was interrupted. And I know that there will be more in the future. I am just hoping that what I learn through this study will help me to have a better perspective. And a better concept of God and His purposes in my life. It is humbling to think that when you think God is interrupting you, you are placing a greater priority on yourself, your plans, your family, your whatever than you are on Him.

No comments: